When it comes to a broccoli dish, we often overlook the leaves. In fact, most people would even leave it out the dish. If you are a fan of healthy eating, vegetables or greens then I got a fun fact for you. Eating a cup sized serving of broccoli leaves gives you 100% of your daily need in vitamin C. besides that you get a good amount of fiber, vitamin B, calcium, iron and beta carotene. (Source: Gardening Channel)
The list goes on and on, so don’t throw your Broccoli leaves in the compost or garbage. Use it in your dish. You can use this simple recipe to and it will be changing the way you are going to use these greens.
When I was in Bedugul (Bali), I found a farming area in the mountains. With permission I harvested some broccoli and leaves. The area looks beautiful. In my video you can see the harvest and cooking.
- 150gr broccoli
- broccoli leaves
- Bell pepper (Paprika)
- 1 big onion
- 4-5 small red onions
- 2 chilis
- 5 garlic cloves
- beef (meat)
- beef (broth)
- oyster sauce
- frying oil
It’s a long list of ingredients, but we’ll be making 2 side dishes based on broccoli and beef. If I could describe it in one word I would say tasty! You will want to try them both.
Cutting the broccoli leaves
A small trick to cutting the leaves is to cut the stem of the leave out. So you would remove this from all the leaves and then you can start chopping them up. During the cooking process the leaves shrink so don’t cut them too small.
Prepare the other ingredients
Cut the rest of the ingredients. Make the broccoli itself bite sized or however you prefer it. The bell pepper I cut in circles. Half the onions are big chunks. The other half are chopped in tiny pieces.
The beef should be cut in bite sized pieces. This is just for the convenience of eating so later you don’t need to cut it again. The chili will have a more background taste in this dish. If you don’t like it a bit spicy remove the seeds. We’re just going to cut the chili in the length open. The red onions will be cut in to tiny pieces as well.
Boiling the broccoli leaves
Start with boiling the broccoli leaves for about 1-2 minutes. This is just the stage of precooking it. We don’t want to overdo this, as this will reduce the taste and healthy vitamins an minerals. After cooking this, just set it aside in a bowl or a plate.
Fry half the onion that was chopped up in tiny pieces together with the anchovies, red onions and chili. Add the broccoli to this and stir things up. Once this is done add the broccoli leaves we just cooked. This still contains a lot of water and should release in the mixture.
It’s optional to add a little bit of beef broth in this dish. it will cook the broccoli a little bit faster. However the leaves also release enough water that the broccoli gets cooked. If you added a lot of broccoli, I do advice you to add that beef broth water.
Our first side dish: the Broccoli leaves recipe. It takes less than 15 minutes to mak this dish. it’s very fast for a healthy dish. In our second, we’ll add the meat.
The Broccoli Beef
Fry the garlic together with the beef. Before the beef is done, add salt, pepper and oyster sauce. Mix the huge chunks of onions in the mix and let the taste makers soak in the meat for 2 minutes on low fire.
After the beef absorbed the salt, pepper and oyster sauce we’ll ad the broccoli and bell peppers. Since the Broccoli isn’t cooked yet we’ll add beef broth. This makes the cooking process a lot easier and tastier. Besides it doesn’t get to dry because of this. Some people would prefer to cook the vegetable seperate, but this way you retain more taste and all the goodness of the veggie. Just stir from time to time on medium heat. When it is done it should look like this.
Now we have 2 amazing side dishes that go well with rice. One that uses the broccoli leaves (together with anchovies) and one with beef.
Broccoli leaves recipe
- 1 wok
- 1 Knife
- 250 gr broccoli
- 250 gr broccoli leaves
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 chilis
- 1 onion
- 3-5 small red onions
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 250 gr beef
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 oyster sauce
- 50 gr anchovies
- 100 ml beef broth
- Cut the stem out of the broccoli leaves. Then roll up all the leaves and cut them. During the cooking process the broccoli leaves shrink so don't cut them to tiny.
- Cut the broccoli, bell pepper, onion, garlic, red onion and beef. Make the beef in bite sized pieces. Half the onion is in huge chunks and the other half in tiny pieces. Slice the chili in 2 pieces.
The Broccoli Leaves side dish
- Cook the broccoli leaves for 1-2 minutes and set it aside
- Preheat the oil and fry half the onion, anchonvies, chili and red onion for 2 minutes
- Add broccoli to this and stir it around. leave it for 2 minutes
- Add the broccoli leaves on top. Optional to add on top is the beef broth. This adds a lot of taste an makes cooking the broccoli go faster.
The Broccoli Beef side dish
- Preheat the oil and fry the garlic with the beef.
- Before the beef is done, add salt, pepper and oyster sauce. Stir it around
- Add the big chunk of onions, stir it and on low fire let it just sit for a few minutes.
- The taste makers are now absorbed. Add the broccoli and bell pepper. Stir it around and add beef broth. When the Broccoli is done the whole dish is ready.